Sunday, September 16, 2012

July 16 - July 30, 2012


July 16 

One of the oddest experiences happened this week. On Saturday morning, we left to knock on doors and find new people to teach. We knocked the fifth door and a young girl, 15, with brown hair and dark skin opened the door. My companion started the conversation ¨hey we´re missionaries from the church of Jesus Christ, and we´d like to share a message with you if you have some time¨. She responded (in Spanish), ¨sorry I don’t speak Spanish very well because I’m from the United States¨. In that moment I thought she was being very sarcastic and that she was kidding. I thought she was just saying that because I was obviously gringo so I said (In Spanish), ¨oh well... maybe there is someone else in the house that could talk with us.¨ She called her brother and he come to the door and said ¨lo siento, no entendo muy bien. somos de estados unidos.¨ And it was in the moment that I realized she wasn’t kidding and they were in fact from the US. We then proceeded to have a 10 minute conversation. They were from California (brown hair and tan skin. They look like they could be from Peru) and come down every 2 years to visit their dad. It was one of the hardest things I’ve done to try and preach the gospel in English. I couldn’t think or say anything.  I felt ridiculous. I know Justin can relate after having a similar experience in Mexico. On Sunday I was able to tell the ward about the experience in my talk and got some big laughs.  I never thought I’d find to young Americans in the middle of Piura knocking doors.
Our numbers are getting better every week and we are improving as a companionship. Always being in the lead really gives you the opportunity to learn a lot about the work and about yourself. Yesterday in church we had 2 people come for the first 2 hours of church, then at the last moment just before the sacrament meeting 9 others showed up. I´ve never had 11 people in one sacrament meeting! It was a great thing to see and a big number. 
Finally, two random things. I can now whistle very loud. It’s pretty helpful when trying to flag down a moto-taxi. Also, Elder Pereyra taught me how to solve a Rubix cube. It’s pretty mind boggling.
Hope all is well,    Love, Ryan
 July 23
¨Loco mata 12 en colorado¨ (madman kills 12 in Colorado) 
On Saturday night we went and visited Wilder and Aracely and when we sat down Wilder said, ¨Wow Elder Farmer, you people from Colorado are crazy, huh?¨ It must have noticed that I was a little confused because he then said, ¨What you haven’t heard? Some crazy killed 12 people in a movie theater¨. They brought me the newspaper and showed me the article describing what happened in Denver, Colorado. I can’t tell you all how weird that was to see my hometown in the newspaper here in Peru. I’ve talked with a bunch of different people about the incident and everyone is pretty concerned at heartbroken at the world we live in.
It really is difficult to see how much some of the people out here struggle to provide for their families and put bread on the table because they live in such poverty and by bread I really do mean just bread.  I got a letter from the Culquicondor Family last week (I baptized Luis and Kiara and then their brother got baptized when I left Lopez albujar). The parents got married last Saturday and the baptism for them is going on as I write this letter.   I sure do miss all of you but the mission can be really fun.
Hope all is well!    Elder Farmer


July 30
Eramos cinco vestido en ropa blanca‏

(We were five dressed in white clothing)

What a great week. On Friday we were able to have the baptism of three young men: Fernando, his brother Brandon, and Boris. Fernando and Brandon are two kids that are very excited to be in the gospel and have found the true church. The other guy that baptized, Boris, has been coming to church for the last 3 months but we never baptized him because he really doesn’t live here.  He lives in an area without missionaries near the mountains and has a lot of friends in our ward so President Rowley gave us permission to baptize him. It was an exciting experience to have 5 of us dressed in white and I know it helped Elder Pereyra a lot as well. It was his first baptism of the mish.


I completed 11 months last Tuesday, on Friday we had the baptism and then I picked up my new suit (it turned out great. I just need some more formal shoes but it still looks nice), then today we played soccer with the young men and I sported the green wig that mom and dad sent me for Saint Patrick’s day.

Hope life is swell for ya´ll. The mission is great and I I’m happy to be here!
Elder Farmer


No comments:

Post a Comment